Always a winner, a good hot Toastie delivers every time!
HOT TOASTIE TIPS
- Use some spray oil the outside of the bread for a delicious golden hot crisp crunch that does not quit!
- If you're using thick bread, don't pre-heat the sandwich press: start it when loaded for a better heat-through
- Pre-Heat the smoked goodness!! Cold ingredients from the fridge makes it harder to heat through, a quick zap makes all the difference
- Halve your vegan cheese to do a bottom AND a top layer, with the other ingredients in between: helps the toastie eat better
- Avoid putting ingredients together that will slide too much: whole tomato slices next to avocado slices will make the toastie fall apart when eating :(
- Level-up your tomato: tomatoes LOVE salt and pepper, either sprinkle on slices, or mix through diced tomato for amazing flavour
- Cut diagonal with a serrated knife, using light, long strokes, keeping the toasties perfect shape without squishing it on the plate
4 slices wholemeal bread (or any bread)
Can of spray oil
100g shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (we used Vgarden Shredded Mozzarella, but any melty one will do)
4 cherry tomatoes or half a large tomato, diced into cubes
Salt and pepper, mixed into the tomatoes
~10 fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 avocado, sliced into 3mm slices
Shaved red onion slivers
Get out the Sandwich press or toastie machine, plug in and switch on. If you are doing a BIG toastie or using thick bread, maybe leave it off until loaded, making sure the whole toastie gets a good heat through.
Slice the avocado and the tomatoes, mixing a good pinch of salt and pepper into the diced tomatoes.
Pre-heat the leftover smoked goodness in the microwave so its warm.
Apply a quick spray of oil to the outside of the 4 toastie bread slices.
Place the oiled sides together to create the two toasties, and start loading.
From the bottom up for each of the two toasties, add:
- a quarter of the the cheese per toastie,
- half the diced and seasoned tomato,
- half the spinach leaves,
- half the sliced avocados,
- a good load of the smoked mushrooms,
- the rest of the cheese, and
- as much of the shaved red onion as you like.
Carefully move the top slice with the toppings to the press, so the oiled side is face down.
Place the remaining slice of bread with the oiledside up.
Repeat with the second toastie and close the lid.
Toast until golden brown and the toastie is heated right through
Remove to a chopping board (careful hot!), and slice diagonally for the best effect. To avoid squashing the toastie, use a serrated knife with long light strokes, serve and enjoy!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Dial up the flavour on any steak with our Savoury Garlic & Pepper wood-smoked seasoning. It works on our sliced Brisket, it'll work for you!
Try any of our seasonings for some variety.